Appearing to have nowhere to run at the home turn, last year's New Zealand Derby (NZ-I) winner Puccini was eased off the rail and spurted through a narrow opening to win the Thorndon Mile (NZ-I) Jan. 24 at Trentham.
Shuka bested five other group I winners to get a repeat win in the Rydges Wellington Captain Cook Stakes (NZ-I) Dec. 6 at Trentham.
Although racing strategy fell apart at the start, favorite Puccini still pulled off a convincing win for an injured jockey in the New Zealand Derby (NZ-I) March 1 at Ellerslie.
Most Popular Stories
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Arrests in Connection With Derby Night Death
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Divining Rod On Target for Preakness Stakes
- Chinese Buyer Lands Top Two Mares at Inglis
- Xpressbet to Sponsor 2015 Preakness Stakes
- Major Decisions Looming in Maryland
- Second Suit Filed Against Encore, KY Downs
- Ness Aiming for Ninth Straight Tampa Title
- Baffert: Derby Win 'Was a Big Sigh of Relief'