Appearing to have nowhere to run at the home turn, last year's New Zealand Derby (NZ-I) winner Puccini was eased off the rail and spurted through a narrow opening to win the Thorndon Mile (NZ-I) Jan. 24 at Trentham.
Shuka bested five other group I winners to get a repeat win in the Rydges Wellington Captain Cook Stakes (NZ-I) Dec. 6 at Trentham.
Although racing strategy fell apart at the start, favorite Puccini still pulled off a convincing win for an injured jockey in the New Zealand Derby (NZ-I) March 1 at Ellerslie.
Most Popular Stories
- Los Alamitos Schedules California Chrome Day
- Keeneland to Handle VinMar Dispersal
- Review: Spa Surface Not Factor in Fatalities
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- PA-Breds, Cathryn Sophia Head Parx Program
- Aftercare: The Challenges of Tracking Horses
- BH 100: Rapping at Derby's Door
- Rich Tapestry's Korea Sprint Start in Doubt
- Barretts Select Yearling Sale Stays Even
- Baffert Reflects on Arrogate's Travers Romp