Appearing to have nowhere to run at the home turn, last year's New Zealand Derby (NZ-I) winner Puccini was eased off the rail and spurted through a narrow opening to win the Thorndon Mile (NZ-I) Jan. 24 at Trentham.
Shuka bested five other group I winners to get a repeat win in the Rydges Wellington Captain Cook Stakes (NZ-I) Dec. 6 at Trentham.
Although racing strategy fell apart at the start, favorite Puccini still pulled off a convincing win for an injured jockey in the New Zealand Derby (NZ-I) March 1 at Ellerslie.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Impressive in Workout
- War Story to Skip Belmont, Head to Ohio Derby
- NYRA Outlines Belmont Traffic-Flow Plan
- American Pharoah 'Went Great' in Slop at CD
- Trainer Baffert, on American Pharoah's Breeze
- Hard Not to Like Skims Rail, Takes Gamely
- Street Story Flies to Winning Colors Win
- Majestic City Strong in Lone Star Handicap
- G. G. Ryder Swoops to All American Win
- Mulhall, Former Racing Manager, Dies at 76