Proud Heiress, rallying gamely seven paths wide for jockey Chantal Sutherland, nosed odds-on choice Tribal Belle at the wire in the $151,785 Whimsical Stakes (gr. III), the first graded stakes of Woodbine's season April 18.
Tribal Belle, Canada's champion female sprinter of 2009, kicks off her season at Woodbine facing a strong field in the $150,000 Whimsical Stakes (Can-III) April 18.
Smart Surprise rallied from off the pace, took over in mid-stretch and held off a late bid from Proud Heiress to win the $158,600 Hendrie Stakes (Can-III) for older fillies and mares May 10 at Woodbine.
After tripping up odds-on choice Smart Surprise by nearly two lengths in winning Woodbine's Whimsical (Can-III) in front-running fashion last month, Dancing Allstar will try to do it again in the Hendrie Stakes (Can-III) on May 10.
Dancing Allstar, Canada's champion 2-year-old filly two years ago, won the first graded stakes race of the 2009 Woodbine season when she dictated the pace en route to a 1 3/4-length win in the $124,108 Whimsical Stakes (Can-III) April 18.
The first graded stakes of the year in Canada, the $150,000 Whimsical Stakes (Can-III) for older fillies and mares at six furlongs on the main track April 18, brings together a field of eight horses, two of which have started this year.
Most Popular Stories
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah
- Secretariat's Birthplace Named 'Historic'
- Grade I Winner Molly Morgan Retired
- Star-Studded Group Nominated for Los Al Derby
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate
- Commentary: Saving, Not Destroying the House
- Power Alert Seeks Riches at Evangeline Downs
- Groupie Doll's First Foal's Homecoming
- That Handicapping Show: Belmont Preview