The first session of Keeneland's January horses of all ages sale registered improved gross and average compared with the first session last year as 201 horses sold for $15,331,400, up 10.04%. Average price improved 14.42%.
Potesta and Princess Arabella brought $800,000 and $725,000, respectively during the first session of the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale Jan. 7.
Buyers will have the opportunity to purchase horses from the Issam Fares' Fares Farm dispersal at a Keeneland January sale that will feature a larger catalog compared with last year.
Undefeated Princess Arabella, decisive winner of the Sunland Park Oaks, will not advance to the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I). The daughter of Any Given Saturday will instead be retired, according to trainer Bob Baffert.
It nearly was for Peachtree Stable and trainer Bob Baffert March 25 when Princess Arabella ran off to win the Sunland Park Oaks at Sunland Park Racetrack & Casino by eight lengths while never tested.
Peachtree Stable and Bob Baffert used the Sunland Park Oaks as a springboard to an eventual Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) win for Plum Pretty in 2011 and will attempt to do the same this year with Princess Arabella.
Leading Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) candidate Princess Arabella, undefeated in two starts for trainer Bob Baffert, worked a sharp five furlongs in 59 seconds flat handily at Santa Anita March 9.
A strong mix of accomplished stars headed by major stakes performers Grace Hall and On Fire Baby comprise the list of 94 fillies nominated to the Kentucky Oaks.
Bob Baffert, one of three finalists for the 2011 Eclipse Award as the nation's top trainer, says that he's not planning to attend the annual dinner Jan. 16 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Los Angeles.
Most Popular Stories
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- New Journeyman Cabrera Wins Lone Star Title
- Wildcat Red Posts Bullet Breeze for Haskell
- A Conversation With Michael Straight
- No Catching Unspurned in Bison City Stakes
- Gallante Shocks Soggy Grand Prix de Paris
- Positive Outlook for Fasig-Tipton Yearlings
- Initial Win Noted for Louisiana Sire Orthodox
- Apprentice LaRicci Tallies With First Mount