Primal Storm's first winner, the filly Lady Primal, became the stallion's initial stakes winner. Lady Primal captured the April 18 Manor Downs Thoroughbred Futurity.
Six 3-year-old sprinters vie in the first running of the $75,000-added Jimmy Winkfield Stakes, named for one of the greatest African-American jockeys of all time, highlighting Aqueduct's Martin Luther King Jr. Day program Monday.
More Smoke started the new year the way he ended the last one, winning this time against newly turned 3-year-olds in Saturday's $50,000 Dancing Count Stakes at Pimlico.
Park Avenue Ball, winner of the local Tyro Stakes on July 31, tries graded stakes company for the first time in Saturday's $100,000 Sapling Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-olds at Monmouth Park. Lining up with him in the gate will be a three-prong attack from trainer Todd Pletcher and Flash Stakes (gr. III) winner Primal Storm.
Winning Expression passed favorite Primal Storm in midstretch, but longshot Gold Joy flew down the outside of the lane to pass them both, winning the $104,900 Tremont Stakes at Belmont Park Saturday.
Keith Asmussen's Primal Storm dominated a field of 2-year-olds to win Friday's $106,300 Flash Stakes (gr. III) at five furlongs at Belmont Park.
Trainer Steve Asmussen, who leads the nation in wins in 2004, saddles Heiligbrodt Racing Stable's unbeaten and heavily favored Lunarpal in Churchill Downs' $125,000-added Kentucky Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) on Saturday.
A pair of juveniles from the barn of trainer Steve Asmussen head a list of 15 2-year-olds nominated tothe $125,000-added Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr.III) on June 5.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- The Pizza Man Key Ingredient To Arlington
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- The Influence of His Majesty
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- Tattersalls July Sale Ends on High Note
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp
- Belmont to Offer Low-Roller Player Tourney
- AHC: Bonus Depreciation Bill Passed by House