Thunderstorms in New Kent, Va. June 26 caused a power outage at Colonial Downs, forcing the track to cancel its live racing schedule.
A power outage shortly before live racing was set to begin on Jan. 29 has caused the cancellation of both live and simulcast racing at Oaklawn Park.
Due to a power outage, Turfway Park canceled races two through nine the evening of Dec. 13.
Keeneland lost power to 75% of its facilities at approximately 4:30 a.m. Saturday morning when high voltage electrical service was interrupted on racetrack property near Versailles Road.
A widespread power outage that affected the Northeast and parts of Canada the afternoon of Aug. 14 delayed the start of the seventh race at Saratoga for nine minutes.
An eight-hour power outage Sept. 14 shut down an Oregon wagering hub and cost three online wagering services about $100,000 in handle.
Santa Anita officials said racing wouldn't stop, although the tote boards would be shut down, if the track faced a power outage. The wagering information, which is controlled by computers, wouldn't be lost. Furer said there are about 22 tote machines that could be up and running during a blackout. Escalators and elevators would be immediately turned off before the blackout to ensure no one gets hurt or trapped. The track is equipped with an emergency generator that would provide lighting.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Rabada Strikes for Second Group I Win in SAf
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Exaggerator Gallops at Pimlico Race Course
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31