Thunderstorms in New Kent, Va. June 26 caused a power outage at Colonial Downs, forcing the track to cancel its live racing schedule.
A power outage shortly before live racing was set to begin on Jan. 29 has caused the cancellation of both live and simulcast racing at Oaklawn Park.
Due to a power outage, Turfway Park canceled races two through nine the evening of Dec. 13.
Keeneland lost power to 75% of its facilities at approximately 4:30 a.m. Saturday morning when high voltage electrical service was interrupted on racetrack property near Versailles Road.
A widespread power outage that affected the Northeast and parts of Canada the afternoon of Aug. 14 delayed the start of the seventh race at Saratoga for nine minutes.
An eight-hour power outage Sept. 14 shut down an Oregon wagering hub and cost three online wagering services about $100,000 in handle.
Santa Anita officials said racing wouldn't stop, although the tote boards would be shut down, if the track faced a power outage. The wagering information, which is controlled by computers, wouldn't be lost. Furer said there are about 22 tote machines that could be up and running during a blackout. Escalators and elevators would be immediately turned off before the blackout to ensure no one gets hurt or trapped. The track is equipped with an emergency generator that would provide lighting.
Most Popular Stories
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Bangkok Upsets Melmich in Valedictory
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass