Polonius, front-running winner of the Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Hollywood Park turf last time out, appears to have the speed advantage once again when he faces just four 3-year-old rivals in the $150,000 Cinema Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Front-running favorite Polonius gamely repelled the late charge of Indian Sun to post a half-length victory in the $106,800 Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Hollywood Park turf.
After making a detour for the Triple Crown trail this spring, Cecil Peacock's Indian Sun gets back on the grass May 17 at Hollywood Park, facing five sophomore rivals in the $100,000 Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) at one mile.
Colonel John has been installed as a slight favorite over El Gato Malo in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 5. A larger-than-expected field of 11 was entered in the 1 1/8-mile synthetic track test for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered