Polonius, front-running winner of the Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Hollywood Park turf last time out, appears to have the speed advantage once again when he faces just four 3-year-old rivals in the $150,000 Cinema Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Front-running favorite Polonius gamely repelled the late charge of Indian Sun to post a half-length victory in the $106,800 Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Hollywood Park turf.
After making a detour for the Triple Crown trail this spring, Cecil Peacock's Indian Sun gets back on the grass May 17 at Hollywood Park, facing five sophomore rivals in the $100,000 Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) at one mile.
Colonel John has been installed as a slight favorite over El Gato Malo in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 5. A larger-than-expected field of 11 was entered in the 1 1/8-mile synthetic track test for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Hard Aces Looks for Repeat in Cougar II
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Awesome Banner Posts Bullet Ahead of Vanderbilt
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Court Gives FL Breeders Right to Challenge Awards Plan
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'