Former Irish classic starter Dan Excel narrowly edged pacesetter Helene Spirit after a spirited battle to the finish line in the HK$12 million Champions Mile (HK-I) May 5 at Sha Tin.
Darsi provided jockey Christophe Soumillon with a memorable birthday present when winning the Prix du Jockey-Club Mitsubishi Motors (Fr-I) (French Derby) on Sunday at Chantilly.
Polish Precedent, sire of the multiple group I winners Pilsudski, Rakti, and Pure Grain, died following complications arising from colic surgery Tuesday night.
Jockey Philip Robinson guided the 6-year-old Rakti to the front early and went on to a five-length romp and a Newbury track record in the Juddmonte Lockinge Stakes (Eng-I) Saturday.
Rakti held off Lucky Story for a half-length victory Saturday in the $556,530 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I), the last big event before the Ascot course is closed and rebuilt.
Jockey Gary Stevens' immense talent was much in evidence Saturday night in the Dubai Sheema Classic (UAE-I) over the 12-furlong turf track at Nad Al Sheba, when the Americam maestro guided Polish Summer to a convincing victory.
There was no storybook ending for the careers of both Nayef and Alamshar in Saturday's Emirates Airline Champion Stakes (Eng-I) at Newmarket. Gary Tanaka's Rakti played the spoiler while ridden out for a surprisingly easy two-length victory.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park