Former Irish classic starter Dan Excel narrowly edged pacesetter Helene Spirit after a spirited battle to the finish line in the HK$12 million Champions Mile (HK-I) May 5 at Sha Tin.
Darsi provided jockey Christophe Soumillon with a memorable birthday present when winning the Prix du Jockey-Club Mitsubishi Motors (Fr-I) (French Derby) on Sunday at Chantilly.
Polish Precedent, sire of the multiple group I winners Pilsudski, Rakti, and Pure Grain, died following complications arising from colic surgery Tuesday night.
Jockey Philip Robinson guided the 6-year-old Rakti to the front early and went on to a five-length romp and a Newbury track record in the Juddmonte Lockinge Stakes (Eng-I) Saturday.
Rakti held off Lucky Story for a half-length victory Saturday in the $556,530 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I), the last big event before the Ascot course is closed and rebuilt.
Jockey Gary Stevens' immense talent was much in evidence Saturday night in the Dubai Sheema Classic (UAE-I) over the 12-furlong turf track at Nad Al Sheba, when the Americam maestro guided Polish Summer to a convincing victory.
There was no storybook ending for the careers of both Nayef and Alamshar in Saturday's Emirates Airline Champion Stakes (Eng-I) at Newmarket. Gary Tanaka's Rakti played the spoiler while ridden out for a surprisingly easy two-length victory.
Most Popular Stories
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- International Star Scratched from the Derby
- Zayat Compliments Churchill on Treatment
- Lovely Maria Easily Captures Kentucky Oaks
- Slideshow: 2015 Kentucky Derby Day
- El Kabeir Scratched From Kentucky Derby
- Finnegans Wake Flies Home, Takes Turf Classic
- CDI Reports Record $194.3M in Derby Day Bets
- Tonalist Surges to Win Westchester Stakes
- Private Zone Delivers in Churchill Downs