The fields are shaping up for Belmont Park's first of two "Super Saturdays" cards Oct. 1, leading up to the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships Nov. 4-5 at Santa Anita Park.
The New York Racing Association has moved the Pilgrim and Miss Grillo Stakes, a pair of juvenile stakes races scheduled for the turf, to the Oct. 8 card due to weather concerns.
The winners of the Pilgrim and Miss Grillo stakes automatically have a starting berth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf and Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf Fillies.
Elusive Bluff came running late to catch pacesetter Show Me the Cash at the wire in the Pilgrim Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Belmont Park Oct. 1. One race earlier, Maram got up just in time to defeat Freedom Rings by a neck in the $164,200 Miss Grillo Stakes (gr. IIIT).
Aqueduct has attracted full fields for a pair of juvenile turf stakes Sunday, the Pilgrim for colts and the Miss Grillo for fillies, both contested at nine furlongs.
Volponi earned his first career win Sunday at Belmont Park, upsetting formerly undefeated 4-5 favorite Baptize in the $113,300 Pilgrim Stakes (gr. IIIT).
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- Tumblebrutus Gets 25th Black-Type Winner
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate