Led by Zayat Stable's talented but lightly raced Paynter, a field of 11 sophomores was entered in the $200,000 The Cliff's Edge Derby Trial (gr. III) on opening night of the Churchill Downs spring meet April 28.
Lightly raced I'll Have Another, running for the first time in two months, dug in through the stretch to stave off odds-on favorite Creative Cause by a nose in a tremendous finish to the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I).
Jason Shandler and Tom LaMarra handicap the Santa Anita Derby and Wood Memorial this week. Sponsored by TVG Watch Video
Creative Cause, one of the leading contenders for this year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), drew the rail as the 6-5 favorite for the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 7.
Rebel Stakes (gr. II) winner Secret Circle remains on edge for his expected start in the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. I) following a bullet five-furlong drill in :58 2/5 at Santa Anita Park March 29.
Zayat Stables colt will make his second career start in grade II race at Hawthorne.
Fed Biz and Bodemeister responded with impressive wins for three-time Derby winner. read blog
Most Popular Stories
- Constitution to Make Stakes Debut in FL Derby
- Jockey Club 2014 Fact Book Posted Online
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- That Handicapping Show: Rebel Stakes
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- LTBA Announces 2013 Champions
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel