Between Pletcher, Passion, and Pimlico, there are plenty of alliterations. And here is another for the record-preference-which is what the Eclipse Award-winning trainer will be trying to pinpoint as he sends his versatile 3-year-old filly to the $100,000 Adena Stallions' Miss Preakness Stakes (gr. III).
Ariege and Golden Doc A, the one-two finishers in the Santa Anita Oaks (gr. I) March 8, will renew their rivalry in the Midwest in the $250,000 Stonerside Beaumont Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland.
Passion, under a determined ride from Rafael Bejarano, outlasted favored Ariege in a fierce stretch duel, taking the $100,000 La Habra Stakes (gr. IIIT) by a nose Feb. 2 on the downhill turf course at Santa Anita.
A field of 10 3-year-old fillies is set for the $100,000 La Habra Stakes Feb. 2 at Santa Anita.
It's still early in the 2-year-old season, but it seems that Bob Baffert already has a slight leg up on the rest of the competition, as the trainer has a pair of good-looking prospects, both by 2002 Juvenile champion Vindication. One of them, More Happy, will headline a field of 10 in the 116th running of the $250,000 Spinaway Stakes (gr. I) Sept. 2 at Saratoga, the nation's first Grade I event of the year for 2-year-olds.
Phantom Income and More Happy were the clear favorites in the 91st running of $150,000 Adirondack Stakes (gr. II) at Saratoga Aug. 15. The six-and-a-half-furlong sprint could not have gone any more dramatically different for the pair of talented 2-year-old fillies.
- By Claire Novak
Today's feature is the Adirondack - $150,000 for 2-year-old fillies. As with all "baby" races, there's not much to go on as far as past performances are concerned.
The Aug. 15 Adirondack Stakes (gr. II) at Saratoga has attracted nine entrants, and they have combined for 11 wins from 16 starts, with none finishing out of the money.
Most Popular Stories
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- OBS Hips to Watch Include Tapwrit's Half Brother