Legislation that would provide a pari-mutuel tax break during the two-day Breeders' Cup World Championships at Keeneland this fall passed the Kentucky House of Representatives by a vote of 80-11 March 2.
- By Tom LaMarra
Legislation that would grant Fairmount Park a tax break worth almost $1.4 million a year has passed both houses of the Illinois legislature and awaits the signature of Gov. Rod Blagojevich. If approved, the track could increase purses and racing dates, according to reports.
A major hurdle blocking the potential growth of international simulcasting was cleared on Thursday night when the U.S. Senate Finance Committee approved by a 12-9 vote a major tax-cut bill that includes a provision eliminating a burdensome 30% withholding tax on winning pari-mutuel wagers placed by foreigners through U.S. pools.
The owner of Playfair Race Course in Washington said a proposed tax increase is behind his plan to cancel live racing in 2003.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist's BC Work Less Than Ideal
- Smile for Daddy
- Getting Started on Breeders' Cup Handicapping
- California Chrome 'Fit' for BC After Work
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Beholder, Frosted Drill at Santa Anita
- Living The Life Retired, Won't Run in BC
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Rachel Alexandra Breeder Morrison dies
- Let the Breeders' Cup Handicapping Begin!