Legislation that would provide a pari-mutuel tax break during the two-day Breeders' Cup World Championships at Keeneland this fall passed the Kentucky House of Representatives by a vote of 80-11 March 2.
- By Tom LaMarra
Legislation that would grant Fairmount Park a tax break worth almost $1.4 million a year has passed both houses of the Illinois legislature and awaits the signature of Gov. Rod Blagojevich. If approved, the track could increase purses and racing dates, according to reports.
A major hurdle blocking the potential growth of international simulcasting was cleared on Thursday night when the U.S. Senate Finance Committee approved by a 12-9 vote a major tax-cut bill that includes a provision eliminating a burdensome 30% withholding tax on winning pari-mutuel wagers placed by foreigners through U.S. pools.
The owner of Playfair Race Course in Washington said a proposed tax increase is behind his plan to cancel live racing in 2003.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Diva Express, I'm a Looker Dead Heat at CD
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- First U.S. Winner for Algorithms
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Flipcup Resolute in Arlington Matron Win
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont