Legislation that would provide a pari-mutuel tax break during the two-day Breeders' Cup World Championships at Keeneland this fall passed the Kentucky House of Representatives by a vote of 80-11 March 2.
- By Tom LaMarra
Legislation that would grant Fairmount Park a tax break worth almost $1.4 million a year has passed both houses of the Illinois legislature and awaits the signature of Gov. Rod Blagojevich. If approved, the track could increase purses and racing dates, according to reports.
A major hurdle blocking the potential growth of international simulcasting was cleared on Thursday night when the U.S. Senate Finance Committee approved by a 12-9 vote a major tax-cut bill that includes a provision eliminating a burdensome 30% withholding tax on winning pari-mutuel wagers placed by foreigners through U.S. pools.
The owner of Playfair Race Course in Washington said a proposed tax increase is behind his plan to cancel live racing in 2003.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Late Run Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- California Diamond Shines in Paddock Sale
- Enola Gray Still Perfect After Del Mar Run
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death