Michael Straight, paralyzed in a riding accident five years ago, takes time to talk with Claire Novak about his recent progress walking with a bionic exoskeleton and participating in research at Florida's Miami Project.
Citing the paralyzing injuries suffered by a rider in a recent Quarter Horse race at Turf Paradise, the Jockeys' Guild is calling on all tracks to put in place $1 million in catastrophic injury coverage.
Jockey Anne Von Rosen will undergo a second surgery following a March 11 spill in a Quarter Horse race at Turf Paradise in which Von Rosen suffered a serious spinal injury.
Assistant trainer Robin Cleary, who was paralyzed in an accident at Calder Race Course in 1996, will be celebrated May 30 at Calder's Turf Club for raising more than $1 million for The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis' spinal-cord injury research programs.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund, Other CA Shippers Arrive at CD
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- Three to Represent New York in Derby
- Ready's Image Filly Tops Breezes for LA Sale
- The Pharoah Show Gets Rave Reviews
- Social Inclusion Second in 2015 Debut
- Possessed, Take Issue Win NY Stallion Stakes
- Three Derby Hopefuls Have Derby-Winning Sires
- Puca Works Four Furlongs in Oaks Prep
- Jones Fillies Drill for Kentucky Oaks