Michael Straight, paralyzed in a riding accident five years ago, takes time to talk with Claire Novak about his recent progress walking with a bionic exoskeleton and participating in research at Florida's Miami Project.
Citing the paralyzing injuries suffered by a rider in a recent Quarter Horse race at Turf Paradise, the Jockeys' Guild is calling on all tracks to put in place $1 million in catastrophic injury coverage.
Jockey Anne Von Rosen will undergo a second surgery following a March 11 spill in a Quarter Horse race at Turf Paradise in which Von Rosen suffered a serious spinal injury.
Assistant trainer Robin Cleary, who was paralyzed in an accident at Calder Race Course in 1996, will be celebrated May 30 at Calder's Turf Club for raising more than $1 million for The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis' spinal-cord injury research programs.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Back to Training After Injury
- Pedigree Analysis: Caro
- Fasig-Tipton to Sponsor Two KY Downs Stakes
- Ironicus Has New Challenge in Bernard Baruch
- Handle Flat, Race Days Down in August
- Renamed First Winner for Everyday Heroes
- Five Sires Have Two Challenge Race Winners
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- Top Sprinter Secret Circle Retired to Stud
- First Winner Lands for Sire General Quarters