Palace Malice, a prohibitive favorite at odds of 1-20, made easy work of his three opponents in the $142,500 Westchester Stakes (gr. III) May 11 at Belmont Park in his prep race for the Metropolitan Handicap (gr. I).
Dogwood Stable's Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Palace Malice will make his final start of 2013 in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) and will have a new rider--Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez.
Dogwood Stables' Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Palace Malice proved his class July 27 at Saratoga Race Course, powering to victory in the $600,000 Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II).
by John P. Sparkman
Curlin has not made the fastest start at stud with his first crop of 3-year-olds, but the victory of Palace Malice in the 145th Belmont Stakes June 8 gave him a first-crop classic winner.
Porter On Pedigrees
Alan Porter dives into the family of Belmont Stakes winner Palace Malice.
A patient Palace Malice collared Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Oxbow coming out of the final turn and dominated the stretch run to post a convincing upset win in the $1 million Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 8 at Belmont Park.
In the case of Palace Malice, it was a simple, but fateful, decision by Burl McBride, the trainer of the colt's dam, Palace Rumor, that has led the son of Curlin to Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby. read blog
Hall of Fame jockey Edgar Prado comes to Fair Grounds for the first time this season to ride Palace Malice in the 100th anniversary edition of the $1 million Louisiana Derby (gr. II) March 30.
Most Popular Stories
- Positive Outlook for Fasig-Tipton Yearlings
- Untapable to Face Males in Haskell
- Fasig-Tipton Kentucky: July 2014 Sale Preview
- Los Alamitos Meet Handles $5 Million a Day
- First Starter Wins for Indiana Sire Dr Large
- F-T Kentucky: Hip 414 Bedford Land
- Sentient Jet Returns as Breeders' Cup Sponsor
- The Thoroughbred Racehorse Foot
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes