Tin Cup Chalice has a shot at the $250,000 OTB Big Apple Triple bonus in the Aug. 20 Albany Stakes at Saratoga. No horse has won the bonus, which was instituted in 1999.
With a victory in the $150,000 Albany Stakes Aug. 22, Vinery Stables' Chief's Lake would have made New York-bred history. No horse has ever won all three legs of the OTB Big Apple Triple, which comprises the Mike Lee Stakes at Belmont, New York Derby at Finger Lakes and the Albany at Saratoga. A sweep of the three would earn the winner a hefty $250,000 bonus. Since its inception in 1999, a couple of horses have come close, Image Maker in 2000 and Ferocious Won last year.
Ferocious Won is eligible for a $250,000 bonus for the first-ever OTB Big Apple Triple Sweep after taking the $177,600 New York Derby for New York-bred 3-year-olds at Finger Lakes Gaming and Racetrack on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Date Set for 2017 Maryland Million Day
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- 'Free Fridays' at National Museum of Racing
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Quality Over Quantity in Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Catalog
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win