Tin Cup Chalice has a shot at the $250,000 OTB Big Apple Triple bonus in the Aug. 20 Albany Stakes at Saratoga. No horse has won the bonus, which was instituted in 1999.
With a victory in the $150,000 Albany Stakes Aug. 22, Vinery Stables' Chief's Lake would have made New York-bred history. No horse has ever won all three legs of the OTB Big Apple Triple, which comprises the Mike Lee Stakes at Belmont, New York Derby at Finger Lakes and the Albany at Saratoga. A sweep of the three would earn the winner a hefty $250,000 bonus. Since its inception in 1999, a couple of horses have come close, Image Maker in 2000 and Ferocious Won last year.
Ferocious Won is eligible for a $250,000 bonus for the first-ever OTB Big Apple Triple Sweep after taking the $177,600 New York Derby for New York-bred 3-year-olds at Finger Lakes Gaming and Racetrack on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment