Shedrow Cocktails became the first reported winner for Louisiana stallion Orthodox when the 2-year-old captured a maiden event by four lengths the evening of July 12 at Evangeline Downs.
The first foal by Orthodox, a bay filly out of the Menifee mare Flippin' Temper, arrived Feb. 3 at Lora Pitre's Peach Lane Farm in Louisiana.
Grade III winner Orhtodox has been retired and will enter stud in 2011 at Lora Pitre's Peach Lane Farms near Opelousas, La.
Two grade III stakes to be contested on Polytrack -- the $150,000 Arlington Matron and the $100,000 Hanshin Cup -- join with a pair of top-notch grass events to provide a quality afternoon of racing at Arlington Park on May 23.
Kim and John Glenney's homebred Orthodox pulled off a shocker in the American Turf (gr. IIIT) May 1 at Churchill Downs, taking over in the stretch and holding off Battle of Hastings in the final yards to score at odds of 45-1 under Jon Court.
Some of the 3-year-olds entered in the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania (gr. IIIT) made brief stops on the Triple Crown trail and are now switching gears. Others began their careers on dirt but have recently found success on turf. Whatever the individual case may be, it has made for an interesting field of eight in Keeneland's feature race April 3, which is opening day of the Lexington racetrack's 15-day spring meet.
Triple Crown Talk blog, with host Jason Shandler, looks at the Lane's End Stakes. Join Jason and professional handicapper Double Deuce from TheWinnersForum.com for a live chat at noon Eastern on March 21.
Although most of the field for Saturday's Lane's End Stakes (gr. II) will have journeyed to Turfway Park from all parts of the country, Saturday's race is a veritable home game for Parade Clown.
Most Popular Stories
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Albarado Fractures Ankle, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Irad Ortiz Jr. Wins Aqueduct Riding Title
- Dolphus Outruns Quality Field at Aqueduct
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- J Boys Echo Breezes Five Furlongs at Churchill