Offspring of 1996 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Grindstone took three stakes, including the co-featured events for 2-year-olds, on Oregon Championship Day for state-breds Dec. 14 at Portland Meadows.
Nominations have been released for one of the biggest days of the season at Portland Meadows, Oregon Championship Day for state-breds Dec. 14.
Grindstone, the first Kentucky Derby winner to stand in the state of Oregon, will see several of his 2-year-olds make their debuts on Oregon Championship Day Nov. 17 at Portland Meadows.
Portland Meadows announced the new stakes schedule for the upcoming inaugural summer and fall meets that kicks off July 15. Headlining the schedule is the 47th running of the Portland Mile Sept. 3.
Oregon Championship Day, the premier afternoon of Thoroughbred racing in the state with seven stakes and handicap races, has been rescheduled for Dec. 31 at Portland Meadows.
For the second consecutive day, chilly temperatures have caused a freezing of the racing surface at Portland Meadows Sunday. Racing officials at the Delta Park oval determined it unsafe for racing and canceled the live card.
Portland Meadows drew a season-record 3,550 for Saturday's Oregon Championship Day. The fans saw leading female rider Twyla Beckner capture three of the five stakes races in the series.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Draws Outside Post 9 for World Cup
- Fields Shaping Up for Wood Memorial Day
- Four Penn National Vets Face Federal Charges
- Gulfstream Should Have Lucrative FL Derby Day
- Castellano Gears Up for Busy FL Derby Day
- Competitive Edge Wins Comeback at Gulfstream
- One Lucky Dane to Join Dortmund in SA Derby
- Dubai Trackwork Notes, March 27
- License Review Likely for Charged Penn Vets
- Cooperative, Monarch End Simulcast Dispute