Grindstone, the first Kentucky Derby winner to stand in the state of Oregon, will see several of his 2-year-olds make their debuts on Oregon Championship Day Nov. 17 at Portland Meadows.
Portland Meadows announced the new stakes schedule for the upcoming inaugural summer and fall meets that kicks off July 15. Headlining the schedule is the 47th running of the Portland Mile Sept. 3.
Oregon Championship Day, the premier afternoon of Thoroughbred racing in the state with seven stakes and handicap races, has been rescheduled for Dec. 31 at Portland Meadows.
For the second consecutive day, chilly temperatures have caused a freezing of the racing surface at Portland Meadows Sunday. Racing officials at the Delta Park oval determined it unsafe for racing and canceled the live card.
Portland Meadows drew a season-record 3,550 for Saturday's Oregon Championship Day. The fans saw leading female rider Twyla Beckner capture three of the five stakes races in the series.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Woodbine Announces 2014 Stakes Schedule
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Effort to Resolve Virginia Dates Fails Again
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury