The Toronto City Council May 20 voted 24-20 against expansion of the gaming facility at Woodbine to include more slot machines and table games.
Members of the Ontario Public Accounts Committee passed a binding motion April 10 that calls for the Auditor General's office to investigate cancellation of the slots-at-racetracks program.
The Ontario government said March 26 it has reached "tentative transition funding agreements" with Fort Erie and two harness tracks, Flamboro Downs and Georgian Downs.
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty announced Oct. 15 that he will be stepping down as leader of the province and will also prorogue the government until a new leader for the Liberal party can be named.
In response to the cancellation of the slots-at-racetracks program, the Ontario Horse Racing Industry Association has developed a plan for "a viable and sustainable horse racing and breeding industry."
An executive with Woodbine Entertainment Group has told local officials its Woodbine racetrack will not survive if slot machines are removed from the facility in March of next year.
The Ontario government April 24 passed a 2012 provincial budget that ends the slots-at-racetracks program operated by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp in March 2013.
A poll commissioned by Woodbine Entertainment Group indicates a majority of the Toronto, Ontario, residents surveyed oppose locating a casino downtown, and that slightly more than half support a full-scale casino at Woodbine.
A recently released study shows horse racing has a $5.7 billion economic impact in Canada, and that racing in the province of Ontario accounts for 26% of total expenditures for the Canadian horse industry.
Just two days after the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. announced it will end the slots-at-racetracks program in the province in March 2013, it acted swiftly by revealing that slots parlors at three tracks will close.
The Ontario provincial government said March 12 it will be ending payments to racetracks through the slots-at-racetracks program in March 2013. The result could mean potential closures for many of the province's 17 tracks.
The Ontario horse racing industry is set to hold a rally Feb. 22 to fight off potential cuts in slot machine revenue it receives from the provincial government.
Stanley Sadinsky will be leaving as chairman of the Ontario Racing Commission to take over as chairman of the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp (OLGC).
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- Connections of Uncle Lino, Laoban Regroup
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park
- Exaggerator, Nyquist Set for Belmont Rematch
- Young Buys Malibu Moon Filly for $500,000
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt Sells for $600,000
- Exaggerator Turns the Tables, Wins Preakness
- The Ex Terminator
- Medaglia d’Oro Colt Tops F-T Midlantic Opener