Texcess, winner of the Boyd Gaming's Delta Jackpot and California Cup Juvenile Stakes in 2004, topped the opening session of the Barretts January mixed sale Monday in Southern California, bringing $300,000 from Carl Van Burger.
Texcess, winner of last December's $1-million Boyd Gaming's Delta Jackpot Stakes will be sent after his second big pot Saturday in the $500,000 Lane's End Stakes (gr. II) at Turfway Park. Trainer Paul Aquirre said the Cal-bred gelding is "100% now" after a pair of losses this year and is primed for a big effort in the nine-furlong Kentucky Derby (gr. I) prep at Turfway Park.
Scrofa, ridden patiently by Patrick Valenzuela, rallied between horses and prevailed by a half-length Thursday in the $140,625 Irish O'Brien Stakes for California-bred fillies and mares at Santa Anita Park.
Scrofa, in her fourth start since being claimed for $62,500, posted a convincing victory in the $100,000 Work The Crowd Handicap for California-bred fillies and mares at Golden Gate Fields Sunday.
California-bred gelding Texcess shook loose on the turn for home under a vigorous ride from Victor Espinoza and outlasted his rivals for a popular victory in the rich $1 million Boyd Gaming's Delta Jackpot for 2-year-olds Saturday at Delta Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Live Chat - Friday, March 7 at NOON EST
- CHRB Issues Advisory for Cobalt Monitoring
- Godolphin Pair Face Off in Maktoum Challenge
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Plays
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Expanded State-Bred Incentives at Arlington
- First NH Winner for Southwestern Heat
- Palace Malice's Wins to Benefit Research
- Indiana Downs Has New Name as Part of Rebrand