Olympio, whose name was synonymous with "Derby" in 1991, recently died of a ruptured aorta at Ellen Jackson's Victory Rose Thoroughbreds near Vacaville, Calif.
Sent off as the even-money favorite Jan. 15, the son of Tapit proved he is a serious 3-year-old when he won his stakes debut in the $100,000 Sham (gr. III) at Santa Anita Park.
Godolphin Racing's Pyro, winner of the Forego Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga, has been retired and will enter stud in 2010 at Darley Japan where his fee will be ¥2 million (about US$22,100).
Deep Gold, a nine-year-old stallion by Olympio--Distinctive Review, by Distinctive Pro standing at Cedar Creek Ranch near Grenville, New Mexico died following a freak accident.
What could have been a potential match race between
female titleholders One Fine Shweetie and Sharky's Review in Saturday's $60,000 Mamie Eisenhower Stakes became a gate-to-wire runaway for a third contender in the race, Only At Night.
Cab Driver, a Runaway Groom colt consigned by Paul Sharp, Agent was purchased by Buzz Chace, Agent for $150,000 to top the second and final session Wednesday of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company June Sale of Two-Year-Olds in Training and Horses of Racing Age.
California sire Strike Gold will stand the 2003 season at Gary and Marlene Howard's Hideaway Farms near San Jacinto, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Broad Offering Should Keep OBS April Growing
- WinStar Farm Acquires Interest in Upstart
- Red Cadeaux Nearing Record Earnings Plateau
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Kentucky Derby Notes, April 20
- Mitchell Remembered as 'Brilliant Horseman'
- Late-Running Longshots Key to Derby Super
- 2015 Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Prep Race Results and Points