Olympio, whose name was synonymous with "Derby" in 1991, recently died of a ruptured aorta at Ellen Jackson's Victory Rose Thoroughbreds near Vacaville, Calif.
Sent off as the even-money favorite Jan. 15, the son of Tapit proved he is a serious 3-year-old when he won his stakes debut in the $100,000 Sham (gr. III) at Santa Anita Park.
Godolphin Racing's Pyro, winner of the Forego Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga, has been retired and will enter stud in 2010 at Darley Japan where his fee will be ¥2 million (about US$22,100).
Deep Gold, a nine-year-old stallion by Olympio--Distinctive Review, by Distinctive Pro standing at Cedar Creek Ranch near Grenville, New Mexico died following a freak accident.
What could have been a potential match race between
female titleholders One Fine Shweetie and Sharky's Review in Saturday's $60,000 Mamie Eisenhower Stakes became a gate-to-wire runaway for a third contender in the race, Only At Night.
Cab Driver, a Runaway Groom colt consigned by Paul Sharp, Agent was purchased by Buzz Chace, Agent for $150,000 to top the second and final session Wednesday of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company June Sale of Two-Year-Olds in Training and Horses of Racing Age.
California sire Strike Gold will stand the 2003 season at Gary and Marlene Howard's Hideaway Farms near San Jacinto, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29