Mike Cusimano, a long-time horse identifier for the Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission, died Jan. 13 in Sallisaw, Okla. He was 65 years old.
Following completion of the permanent rule making process of the Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission, jockeys in Oklahoma received an increase in base mount fees beginning July 11, the date the new jockey fee schedule rule went
The Chickasaw Nation won preliminary approval Nov. 19 for a 2010 racing and gaming license at Remington Park, which expects to purchase the Oklahoma racetrack from Magna Entertainment Corp. for $80 million.
The Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission officially gave the go-ahead for gaming Aug. 11 at two of the racetracks in the state, Remington Park in Oklahoma City and Blue Ribbon Downs in Sallisaw.
Oklahoma may be less than two weeks away from having its first racetrack casino operation licensed, and a June 16 meeting should chart the course of on-track electronic gaming in the state.
Gaming at Oklahoma racetracks is closer to reality, Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission officials said Jan. 27 during their monthly meeting. Rules that would govern alternative gaming will be formulated in a month, they said.
Remington Park has filed an appeal with the Oklahoma Racing Commission to amend its 2003 racing dates. The commission will decide Nov. 14 whether to reconsider the dates.
The Oklahoma Racing Commission denied Thursday a request by Remington Park to eliminate its Quarter Horse dates for the time being and run only 65 days of Thoroughbred racing next year. Remington Park officials say the decision puts the track in financial jeopardy and may force it to close.
Most Popular Stories
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal for Circumference is a Filly
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Slimmed Down Racing May Be Finding Its Footing
- Bahamian Squall's First Foal is a Colt