Thirty-six entries, among them U.S. Horse of the Year California Chrome and 2014 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) victor Karakontie, have been received for the Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes (Eng-I) May 16 at Newbury.
Trainer Al Stall Jr. said the $400,000 Oklahoma Derby (gr. III) at Remington Park Sept. 29 will be the last start of the season for Departing, winner of the Sept. 7 Super Derby (gr. II) last time out.
Heritage Place will conduct its inaugural Thoroughbreds-only mixed sale Dec. 8 in Oklahoma City, Okla. The auction will include a paddock-type offering of horses in training.
- By Esther Marr
Gaming puts the 'OK' in Oklahoma. Download Now
The Oklahoma City yearling sale, scheduled for Aug. 24 in Oklahoma, has 113 horses in its catalog, including a close relative to the $2.8-million Storm Cat – Onaga colt that topped the recent Fasig-Tipton Saratoga select yearling auction. The yearling, by Storm Cat's grandson Lion Heart, is out of a full sister to Onaga, according to the auction's sales manager, Terri Carter.
Remington Park reported across-the-board declines in attendance and handle for its 59-day meet that ended Nov. 24. The Oklahoma City racetrack reported a 4.3% decline in average daily attendance to 2,337 and an 11.5% drop in average daily on-track handle to $120,551.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby
- Solid Keeneland Sale Ends With Declines
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- Handle Decreased 26% at Monmouth Park in 2016
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation