The $112,900 Schuylerville Stakes (gr. III) was both good and bad for trainer Steve Asmussen, who saddled the overlooked Jardin to victory over the sloppy Saratoga main track even as favored Ocean Colors faded to last in the test of 2-year-old fillies July 23.
Ocean Colors, an impressive winner in her first start, may be the sentimental choice heading in to the $100,000 Schuylerville Stakes (gr. III) on Saratoga's opening day, July 23. Eleven 2-year-old fillies will carry 119 pounds while contesting the six-furlong contest, and all of them are seeking their first stakes victory.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Ocean Colors has the potential to put some shine on the otherwise lackluster broodmare career of Winning Colors. The daughter of Orientate broke her maiden by 5 1/4 lengths at Churchill Downs on June 13 and seems ready for more.
Gainesway Thoroughbreds' Ocean Colors, a 2-year-old Orientate filly out of 1988 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Winning Colors, made her racing debut one to remember June 13 at Churchill Downs by scoring a front-running 5 1/4-length victory in the fourth race
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Northwest Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered
- Ward Joins Water Hay Oats Alliance