Retired jockey Nelson Menard died Feb. 9, according to the publicity office at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots.
Millionaire and sire Roman Ruler died Jan. 25 at Haras Vacación in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the farm announced via Facebook. He was 15.
Arthur Kelley, who founded the non-profit R.A.C.E. Fund Inc. to help off-track Thoroughbreds, died Jan. 25. He was 98.
Mary Jo Pons, matriarch of Maryland's Country Life Farm and a driving force behind the Radio Reading Network of Maryland, died of natural causes on Monday evening, Jan. 1 at Bright View Assisted Living in Bel Air, Md. She was 87.
Retired equine veterinarian Johnny Kirk Griggs, the owner and trainer of champion steeplechaser Warm Spell, died Oct. 19 in Lexington. He was 84.
Dr. Robert A. Leonard, an equine veterinarian and managing partner in the prominent Glade Valley Farm in Maryland, died Feb. 10 at his residence in Chester, Md., at age 92.
Prominent Virginia Thoroughbred breeder Sam Rogers Jr. died Oct. 27, in Leesburg, Va., at the age of 93.
Retired jockey George Munsell Jr., who competed for more than 40 years, died June 10 in Williston, Fla. He was 73. His win total ranked 184th through June 27.
Veteran Illinois-based trainer Charlie Bettis died June 21 at the age of 62 of natural causes, according to Arlington Park.
Martin Burdett-Coutts, who operated Can-Am Bloodstock, died Dec. 15 in Florida at age 86.
Robert Wehle, well known in Thoroughbred breeding circles for his ownership interest in stallions, died July 12. He was 82.
Most Popular Stories
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut