Powerscourt gave his Ballydoyle connections something to celebrate with a six-length romp in the Tattersalls Gold Cup (Ire-I) Sunday at The Curragh to hand Aidan O'Brien his first group I triumph of the season.
American-bred Vangelis got a well-timed ride from leading French jockey Christophe Soumillon to win the Prix d'Harcourt (Fr-II) for older horses at 1 1/4 miles at Longchamp Sunday.
Bandari, trained by Mark Johnston for Sheikh Hamdan al Maktoum, will be bidding to become the first winner of the Rothmans Royals St Leger for 29 years trained in that county -- since Peleid in 1973 -- when he takes on nine rivals in the final classic of the British season at Doncaster Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Grade 1 Winner Gormley Works Toward Next Start
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby