Jockey Mallory Strandberg won the first race of her career March 22 when she guided Light Of Truth to victory in the first race at Laurel Park in Maryland.
Tyler Kaplan, a 16-year-old apprentice jockey, won with the very first mount of his career March 4 at Santa Anita, guiding 5-year-old mare Soldier Betty home in a claiming race.
The North American Racing Academy will have a graduation race for its students Sunday, May 17. The race will take place during the 43rd running of the High Hope Steeplechase at The Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.
Four graduates and five second-year students from the North American Racing Academy lined up for an exhibition race at Turfway Park in Kentucky Sept. 27, with Matthew Straight, a member of the academy's 2008 inaugural graduating class, getting the win aboard Pointing Home.
Michael "Mikey" James became the second North American Racing Academy graduate to enter the winner's circle when he rode Lady Phoenix to a neck victory in Thursday's first race at Turfway Park.
Jessica Oldham Stith, the first graduate of Chris McCarron's North American Racing Academy, failed to emulate her parents but got a lot of experience in her first ride as a jockey June 17 at River Downs in Ohio.
Chris McCarron will be on hand at River Downs in Ohio June 17 to "pony" a graduate of the North American Riding Academy in her debut as a professional jockey.
Most Popular Stories
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- WV Racing, Breeding Take 10% Revenue Hit
- Apprentice Boulanger Guides in First Winner
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World