For the fourth year in a row and fifth overall, 10-year-old warrior Ben's Cat won the $100,000 Jim McKay Turf Sprint May 20 and did it in dramatic fashion under the bright sun at Pimlico Race Course.
The Jim Stable's Ben's Cat, who hadn't raced since late November on dirt, overcame a wide trip in a good grass allowance field May 1 at Laurel Park to win his 10-year-old debut.
On a day his now Racing Hall of Fame owner-breeder-trainer was honored, Ben's Cat won the $60,000 Mister Diz Stakes for a sixth straight year Saturday while nailing down the 30th victory overall in his amazing career.
The Jim Stable's Ben's Cat was put to the test while being floated extremely wide down the lane and still got up to register victory Sept. 21 in the $100,000 Laurel Dash Stakes at Laurel Park.
Two-time TVG King Edward Stakes (Can-IIT) winner Riding the River looks to rebound from an unsatisfactory finish, while Highlander Stakes (Can-III) victor Go Blue or Go Home switches surfaces in the Play the King Stakes.
Two-time Connaught Cup victor Something Extra heads the $200,000 Highlander Stakes July 7 at Woodbine and is the 2-1 favorite on the morning line for a 13-horse field that includes grade I winner Next Question.
St. George Farm Racing's homebred and dual graded stakes winner Mr. Commons will attempt to overcome the rail post and snap an eight-race losing streak when he faces at least eight others in the June 7 Jaipur Stakes.
Make that four years in a row for Ben's Cat in the $75,000 Mister Diz Stakes. The Jim Stable star from the King Leatherbury barn carried Julian Pimentel to an easy 1 3/4-length victory over the firm turf April 6 at Pimlico.
Most Popular Stories
- A Look Back at Gallant Fox's Arlington Classic
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Asmussen Earns $50,000 Preakness Weekend Bonus
- The Greatest Performance No One Has Seen
- Enola Gray, Illuminant Look Strong in Monrovia Field
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million