Itsmyluckyday breezed a mile in 1:43 1/5 April 18 at Calder Casino & Race Course in his next to last work before shipping to Kentucky for the May 4 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Itsmyluckyday defeated champion Shanghai Bobby and set a track record at Gulfstream Park in the process when he won the $400,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 26.
Undefeated Salute the Sarge, taking advantage of a couple of key scratches, wore down odds-on favorite Georgie Boy close to home to win the $147,000 Best Pal Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-olds on the Del Mar Polytrack Aug. 12.
James McIngvale and Bob Baffert have parted company, Baffert said Wednesday. McIngvale, whose biggest victory came in this year's Louisiana Derby (gr. II) with Wimbledon, will be sending the majority of his horses to trainer Nick Hines and a few to Steve Asmussen, according to Baffert.
Despite once being hospitalized by the antics of Eric Da Bomb, trainer Nick (Sarge) Hines has a fondness for the California-bred gelding by Flying Victor.
Wildwood Flower, an unbeaten half sister to stakes star Eye Of The Tiger, will be shipped south from Bay Meadows Wednesday to make her stakes debut in Hollywood Park's $100,000 Moccasin Stakes for 2-year-old fillies at seven furlongs on Sunday, according to trainer Jerry Hollendorfer.
The blistering heat wave hitting the Southern California took a slight break Friday morning, but it wasn't good news for most Southern California residents and race fans at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer Walsh Says Mistake Led to Positive
- California Implements New Whip Rule
- Ostrolenka, Good Luck Gus Rematch in NY Derby
- Wise Dan Cleared to Resume Full Training
- 284 Cataloged for F-T New York-Bred Sale
- RaceTech Adds Suit Against Kentucky Downs
- Workers' Comp Remains for NY Exercise Riders
- Rome Keynote Speaker at 2016 Owner Conference
- Santa Anita Reports Attendance, Handle Gains
- Genuine Reward to Old Friends