The last of the traditional preps for the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) is unlikely to have an impact on next week's "Run for the Roses," but Saturday's $100,000-added Derby Trial at Churchill Downs will undoubtedly get the 132nd Spring Meet at historic Churchill Downs off to a rousing start.
Peachtree Stable's High Cotton, a disappointment in his comeback race last month for trainer Todd Pletcher, led all the way to defeat 11 rivals in the $100,000 Rushaway for 3-year-olds at Turfway Park Saturday.
Todd Pletcher needs Peachtree Stable's High Cotton, likely favorite in the $100,000 Rushaway for 3-year-olds, to regain his juvenile form Saturday at Turfway Park on the Lane's End undercard.
A four-month layoff and an unfamiliar surface might have given Laity pause early on in the John Battaglia Memorial Stakes at Turfway Park Saturday, but by the end he was zeroed in on the finish line, holding off a blazing late charge to win by half a length.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Toews On Ice Glides to William Walker Win
- Ward Sends Three Fillies in Kentucky Juvenile
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze
- Cathryn Sophia Gets Early Morning Workout