The last of the traditional preps for the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) is unlikely to have an impact on next week's "Run for the Roses," but Saturday's $100,000-added Derby Trial at Churchill Downs will undoubtedly get the 132nd Spring Meet at historic Churchill Downs off to a rousing start.
Peachtree Stable's High Cotton, a disappointment in his comeback race last month for trainer Todd Pletcher, led all the way to defeat 11 rivals in the $100,000 Rushaway for 3-year-olds at Turfway Park Saturday.
Todd Pletcher needs Peachtree Stable's High Cotton, likely favorite in the $100,000 Rushaway for 3-year-olds, to regain his juvenile form Saturday at Turfway Park on the Lane's End undercard.
A four-month layoff and an unfamiliar surface might have given Laity pause early on in the John Battaglia Memorial Stakes at Turfway Park Saturday, but by the end he was zeroed in on the finish line, holding off a blazing late charge to win by half a length.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- A Few Early Thoughts on the Kentucky Derby Pace
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill