Barring a reversal by mutuel clerks that refused to vote on a proposal for wage concessions, it appears Meadowlands in New Jersey will not reopen for harness racing in May and the track's simulcast operation will shut down.
Mutuel clerks at Woodbine went on strike Wednesday evening after their 600-member union, the independent Canadian Racetrack Workers Union, voted against the latest contract proposal offered by Woodbine Entertainment Group.
The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers union of New York, division of mutuel employees, Local 3, has overwhelmingly ratified a new contract with the New York Racing Association, averting a possible work stoppage or sickout on Belmont Stakes day June 11.
The New York Racing Association has announced it has terminated the 16 pari-mutuel employees who pleaded guilty this week to charges relating to federal tax fraud.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Broad Offering Should Keep OBS April Growing
- WinStar Farm Acquires Interest in Upstart
- Red Cadeaux Nearing Record Earnings Plateau
- Mitchell Remembered as 'Brilliant Horseman'
- Kentucky Derby Notes, April 20
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Late-Running Longshots Key to Derby Super
- 2015 Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Prep Race Results and Points