Betting favorite Sir Greeley saved ground in the early going, moved along that same path in the upper stretch to take the lead, and held on gamely under Eibar Coa for a 3/4-length victory in the $100,000 Toboggan Handicap (gr. II) March 8 in the slop at Aqueduct.
Sir Greeley overtook tiring pacesetter Love of Money to win the $108,800 Westchester Handicap (gr. III) for 3-year-olds and up at a mile on opening day of Belmont Park's 59-day spring/summer meet.
Former claiming horse Gunning For became a graded stakes winner Saturday when he held off a determined Rousing Victory for a half-length victory in the $110,100 Lawrence (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on a yielding Belmont Park turf.
Even-money favorite Artie Schiller avoided a troubled stretch run and streaked to a 4 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Stakes (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds on the Saratoga turf Monday.
On Sunday at Belmont, Artie Schiller makes his stakes debut when he starts as the favorite in the $75,000-added Pilgrim Stakes (post time 5:12 p.m.).
Most Popular Stories
- Belmont Runner-Up Frosted Back in Jim Dandy
- Monmouth Ups Haskell Purse to $1.75 Million
- Xtra Heat Halter to be Auctioned
- Quick Arrest Following Delaware Park Shooting
- Rock Fall Looks to Step Up in Vanderbilt
- Imagining Heads Tough Bowling Green at Spa
- Record Derby Week Keys Strong CDI Performance
- La Verdad Cruises in Honorable Miss
- Saratoga's PDJF Awareness Day Events Aug. 1
- American Pharoah Has Final Work for Haskell