Betting favorite Sir Greeley saved ground in the early going, moved along that same path in the upper stretch to take the lead, and held on gamely under Eibar Coa for a 3/4-length victory in the $100,000 Toboggan Handicap (gr. II) March 8 in the slop at Aqueduct.
Sir Greeley overtook tiring pacesetter Love of Money to win the $108,800 Westchester Handicap (gr. III) for 3-year-olds and up at a mile on opening day of Belmont Park's 59-day spring/summer meet.
Former claiming horse Gunning For became a graded stakes winner Saturday when he held off a determined Rousing Victory for a half-length victory in the $110,100 Lawrence (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on a yielding Belmont Park turf.
Even-money favorite Artie Schiller avoided a troubled stretch run and streaked to a 4 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Stakes (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds on the Saratoga turf Monday.
On Sunday at Belmont, Artie Schiller makes his stakes debut when he starts as the favorite in the $75,000-added Pilgrim Stakes (post time 5:12 p.m.).
Most Popular Stories
- Blood-Horse Unveils Multimedia Tablet Edition
- Materiality, Frosted Drill Toward Belmont
- American Pharoah Schools, Back to Galloping
- Breeders' Cup Fantasy Game Returns for 2015
- Zenyatta in Foal to War Front Again
- Company Tied to NYRA Chair Named in Case
- Treve Terrific in Corrida Romp at Saint-Cloud
- Pedigree Analysis: Lovely Maria
- Virginia Defining Horsemen's Group Criteria
- Amanpour Brings $1.5M on Final MM Select Day