With co-owner Derrick Smith looking on, Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien sent out Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) hopefuls St Nicholas Abbey and Treasure Beach for a gallop at Santa Anita Nov. 1.
Cape Blanco, who withstood a tenacious challenge for a game victory in the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) Oct. 1, has been retired due to an injury sustained in the race over yielding turf at Belmont Park.
Cape Blanco shipped across the pond from Ireland for third time to collect a grade I victory, barely outlasting a determined Dean's Kitten by a nose in the $500,000 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) Oct. 1.
The favorite, he holds off Giant Oak by three-quarters of a length.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Morning-Line Pick in Wide-Open Haskell
- Fayeq Impresses in Saratoga Allowance Victory
- Stellar Wind, Vale Dori Face Off Again in Hirsch
- Into the Gray Brings Graydar First Winner
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green