The first winner for stakes winner Mr. Trieste won at SunRay Park June 13.
This may be the 10th running of the grade III, $300,000 Texas Mile, but it feels like the first time. Trainer Bob Baffert is coming to Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie for Saturday's marquee event with a speedy Mike Pegram horse; the next week he'll be in Louisville, Ky., preparing to take the Kentucky Derby by storm.
Brass Hat, making only his third start after a 13-month layoff, took a commanding 2 1/2-length victory in the $435,600 New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) Saturday at the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
A balanced field of eight, half of them graded stakes winners, was entered for Saturday's 81st running of the $400,000-added grade II New Orleans Handicap, the marquee race of the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Recent grade II winners Magna Graduate and Super Frolic have each been assigned 120 pounds and are co-highweights for Saturday's $400,000-added New Orleans Handicap (gr. II), the biggest race of the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Mr. Trieste won his eighth straight race when he pulled away from four rivals to post a four-length win in the $106,000 Zia Park Distance Championship to highlight closing day of the inaugural season Sunday at the Hobbs, N.M. track.
Mr. Trieste drew away for a 3 1/2-length victory in a 5 1/2-furlong maiden race at Churchill Downs Saturday, giving his sire Old Trieste his first win.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm