Charlie LoPresti liked what he saw in a five-furlong workout by Wise Dan Aug. 2 on the Keeneland main track, and the Kentucky-based trainer is pointing the two-time Horse of the Year toward an early September return.
- By Frank Angst
While owner-breeder Mort Fink likely will keep Wise Dan pointed toward a try at a third straight Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. I) victory this season, trainer Charlie LoPresti can't help but wonder if perhaps... read blog
Wise Dan, a leading contender to repeat as Horse of the Year after a second straight win in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), will be paraded in the paddock at Churchill Downs on closing day, Saturday, Nov. 30.
A winner of six of seven starts this year with his Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) victory Nov. 2, Wise Dan deserves repeat Horse of the Year honors, his trainer Charlie LoPresti said the morning after the race.
The conditions were dreadful, the weight spread oppressive, but Wise Dan found a way to overcome all adversity to capture the Firecracker Handicap (gr. IIT) on the night of June 29 over yielding turf at rainy Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- NY Regulators Tighten Underage Gambling Rules
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Beam Appointed to Ohio Fund Advisory Panel
- Colt is First Winner for Maclean's Music
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill