Charlie LoPresti liked what he saw in a five-furlong workout by Wise Dan Aug. 2 on the Keeneland main track, and the Kentucky-based trainer is pointing the two-time Horse of the Year toward an early September return.
- By Frank Angst
While owner-breeder Mort Fink likely will keep Wise Dan pointed toward a try at a third straight Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. I) victory this season, trainer Charlie LoPresti can't help but wonder if perhaps... read blog
Wise Dan, a leading contender to repeat as Horse of the Year after a second straight win in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), will be paraded in the paddock at Churchill Downs on closing day, Saturday, Nov. 30.
A winner of six of seven starts this year with his Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) victory Nov. 2, Wise Dan deserves repeat Horse of the Year honors, his trainer Charlie LoPresti said the morning after the race.
The conditions were dreadful, the weight spread oppressive, but Wise Dan found a way to overcome all adversity to capture the Firecracker Handicap (gr. IIT) on the night of June 29 over yielding turf at rainy Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Mor Spirit Move Pleases Baffert, Stevens
- Creator Turns in Final Kentucky Derby Breeze
- Gun Runner Wraps Up Major Pre-Derby Work
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Nyquist Top 3YO in Final Pre-Derby NTRA Poll
- Asmussen Breezes Four Oaks Hopefuls
- Carina Mia Breezes at Churchill Downs
- Hermann Named Golden Gate Announcer
- Fanticola Up to Defend Royal Heroine Title
- Coil's First Starter Wins in California