Charlie LoPresti liked what he saw in a five-furlong workout by Wise Dan Aug. 2 on the Keeneland main track, and the Kentucky-based trainer is pointing the two-time Horse of the Year toward an early September return.
- By Frank Angst
While owner-breeder Mort Fink likely will keep Wise Dan pointed toward a try at a third straight Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. I) victory this season, trainer Charlie LoPresti can't help but wonder if perhaps... read blog
Wise Dan, a leading contender to repeat as Horse of the Year after a second straight win in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), will be paraded in the paddock at Churchill Downs on closing day, Saturday, Nov. 30.
A winner of six of seven starts this year with his Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) victory Nov. 2, Wise Dan deserves repeat Horse of the Year honors, his trainer Charlie LoPresti said the morning after the race.
The conditions were dreadful, the weight spread oppressive, but Wise Dan found a way to overcome all adversity to capture the Firecracker Handicap (gr. IIT) on the night of June 29 over yielding turf at rainy Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Runhappy Romps to Record King's Bishop Score
- Loss Can't Derail Pharoah Phenomenon
- Island Town Crushes Smarty Jones Field
- Private Zone Speeds to Forego Victory
- Flintshire Flies Away From Sword Dancer Foes
- Australian Trainer Bart Cummings Dies at 87
- Sheer Drama Plays Spoiler in Personal Ensign
- Chilean Invader Dacita Takes Ballston Spa
- Unbridled Forever Rolls to First Grade I Win