Slew o' Gold, a multiple champion by Seattle Slew, was euthanized Oct. 14 at Robert N. Clay's Three Chimneys Farm near Midway, Ky.
Smarty Jones has been treated for a blocked ampulla and the dual classic winner has resumed normal breeding activity.
The Equine Species Working Group, the designated United States Department of Agriculture working group for horses on the issue of the National Animal Identification System, is soliciting proposals in the area of equine identification related to equine health and disease control.
Central Kentucky veterinarians Richard Holder and Jim Morehead discussed MRLS and fall fetal loss syndrome at Tuesday's joint meeting of the Kentucky Thoroughbred Farm Managers' Club and the Kentucky Equine Practitioners Association.
By Bronwyn Farr
Veterinarians should select racehorses at auction, not "radiographically clean horses," Three Chimneys' resident veterinarian Dr. Jim Morehead told Australia's leading equine veterinarians at a yearling radiographic seminar Aug. 18 at Sydney University.
Recent research indicates that endoscopic examination of yearlings can help determine their eventual racing success. However, research also showed certain abnormalities that in the past were considered indicators of poor performance were not predictive of actual athletic performance in the adult horse.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Major Expansion Planned for Aqueduct Casino
- Japan Races added to BC Challenge Series
- KY-Bred Ryans Charm Scores Repeat in Peru GI
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Into Mischief Filly MHBA Yearling Show Champ
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- KY Track, Equipment Co. Offers Scholarship
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup