Overwhelmingly favored Kauai Katie led from start to finish for a seemingly effortless 3 1/4-length victory in the $71,250 Road Princess overnight stakes, the closing day feature at Aqueduct Racetrack April 21.
Kauai Katie, who had begun her 3-year-old campaign with a smart eight-length score in the Old Hat Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 1, captured the Forward Gal at seven furlongs in 1:22.13.
Favored Kauai Katie didn't disappoint in the Sept. 30 Matron Stakes (gr. II) at Belmont Park when she overcame Baby J at the half-mile pole and increased her advantage to the wire, drawing off to a decisive victory.
Favored Winding Way emerged as a female sprinter to watch this season when she overcame a hopelessly tardy start to win the $150,000 Rancho Bernardo Handicap (gr. III) at Del Mar Aug. 19.
More Than Pretty, with Calvin Borel aboard, took to the turf in her first try and rallied in the final stages for a one-length victory over the late charging Handlewoman in Saturday's $117,700 Open Mind for 3-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs.
A field of 11 juvenile fillies with no heavy favorite should make for a competitive renewal of the Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) Friday, Keeneland's opening day of the fall meeting.
Two-year-olds of both sexes take center stage on Sunday in a pair of grade III races that are part of closing day at Arlington Park this season.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017