Mike Mooney, who began in racetrack publicity in 1970, retired April 16 from Hollywood Park, where he had worked since 1991.
Delaware Park will honor trainer J. Larry Jones for his accomplishments and dedication to racing with a special tribute at the Wilmington racetrack Saturday June 20.
Delaware Park announced Dec. 8 that Pat Pope had been appointed racing secretary for the track's upcoming 72nd meet.
As Colonial Downs's opens its summer meet Friday, spectators coming to New Kent will see more racing on its dirt course as well as some changes to the facility, both exterior and interior.
Opening day for Colonial Downs' summer meet is expected to move up a week to June 17. Moving up opening day coordinates better with racing dates recently determined for the spring meet at Pimlico in Maryland.
A $2-million "Grand Slam of Grass" bonus and a three-day Labor Day Weekend Turf Festival highlight a proposal prepared by Colonial Downs and the Virginia Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association that will be reviewed by the Virginia Racing Commission Feb. 16.
Colonial Downs will host "Race into Reading," a book-signing session on June 15. Six authors will be at the track to autograph copies of their latest titles.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- Full Field of 14 Contest Wide-Open Modesty
- Hoppertunity Heading Home to California
- Sky Lantern Takes Second Crack at Falmouth
- Princess of Sylmar Seeks Del 'Cap Rebound
- Hialeah Sees New Thoroughbred Opportunity
- Stars and Stripes Good Spot for Suntracer
- Boisterous Holds Class Edge in Bowling Green
- Panel: Change in Culture Needed in Racing
- Admiral Kitten Back at Arlington Park