Mike Mooney, who began in racetrack publicity in 1970, retired April 16 from Hollywood Park, where he had worked since 1991.
Delaware Park will honor trainer J. Larry Jones for his accomplishments and dedication to racing with a special tribute at the Wilmington racetrack Saturday June 20.
Delaware Park announced Dec. 8 that Pat Pope had been appointed racing secretary for the track's upcoming 72nd meet.
As Colonial Downs's opens its summer meet Friday, spectators coming to New Kent will see more racing on its dirt course as well as some changes to the facility, both exterior and interior.
- By Nick Hahn
Opening day for Colonial Downs' summer meet is expected to move up a week to June 17. Moving up opening day coordinates better with racing dates recently determined for the spring meet at Pimlico in Maryland.
A $2-million "Grand Slam of Grass" bonus and a three-day Labor Day Weekend Turf Festival highlight a proposal prepared by Colonial Downs and the Virginia Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association that will be reviewed by the Virginia Racing Commission Feb. 16.
Colonial Downs will host "Race into Reading," a book-signing session on June 15. Six authors will be at the track to autograph copies of their latest titles.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000
- OBS April First Session Soars
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo