An Association of Racing Commissioners International committee amended a model rule April 20 to prevent suspended trainers from transferring their horses to family members or close associates while they serve out their penalties.
Using emergency regulations, the Louisiana Racing Commission has banned the use of anabolic steroids in racehorses effective Jan. 1, 2009.
The New York State Racing and Wagering Board on May 29 passed proposed restrictions on use of anabolic steroids in racehorses for Thoroughbred and Standardbred racing.
The complicated nature of regulating anabolic steroids in racehorses came to light May 20 when discussion among members of the Kentucky Equine Drug Research Council and others seemed to indicate the easiest route is an all-out ban on the substances.
Indiana is moving forward with plans to implement regulation and testing of anabolic steroids in racehorses April 1.
A national regulator said uniform implementation of regulations for anabolic steroids in racehorses isn't practical and suggested horsemen "come clean to the races" voluntarily beginning April 1.
Just hours after horsemen and scientists questioned the model rule regulating anabolic steroids in racehorses and suggested a national roll-out of the rules later this year or early next year is more practical, regulators in the Mid-Atlantic region announced they are sticking with plans to implement the regulations as quickly as possible.
The head of a major horsemen's group in the United States has proposed a national approach for regulation of anabolic steroids in racehorses with an implementation date of Jan. 1, 2009.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Impressive in Workout
- Winning Crown Connections Feel It's Time
- Untapable Works Toward Ogden Phipps Stakes
- War Story to Skip Belmont, Head to Ohio Derby
- American Pharoah 'Went Great' in Slop at CD
- KEDRC Makes Cobalt Policy Recommendation
- NBC Sports Commentators on 'Night School'
- NY Begins Weekly Track Information Reports
- 'Win and You're In' Spot for Ordak Dan
- Hard Not to Like Skims Rail, Takes Gamely