Hirschy became the first winner for new sire Papa Clem when the 2-year-old colt won a maiden special weight race Aug. 1 at the Sonoma County Fair in Santa Rosa, Calif.
Favored Papa Clem seized the lead from pacesetter Smart Bid in the stretch and held off his rival through the lane to score a hard-fought half-length win in the $150,000 San Fernando Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita Jan. 16.
The Hirsch family is one of California's most prominent in the Thoroughbred business, and Papa Clem, named after the late Clement Hirsch, will carry on that rich tradition in the May 2 Run for the Roses.
Southern California shipper Papa Clem outfought even-money choice Old Fashioned in a thrilling stretch duel at Oaklawn Park to win the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. II) by a half-length April 11.
Veteran conditioner Warren Stute got a pleasant surprise when he strolled into his usual spot in the racetrack kitchen this week.
Storm Flag Flying and Vindication were made the favorites in the Breeders' Cup Future Bet for the juvenile championship races to be contested Oct. 26 at Arlington Park as part of the World Thoroughbred Championships.
Storm Flag Flying remained an overwhelming 1-2 favorite in thesecond day of the Breeder's Cup Future Bet for the $1 million Juvenile Fillies division.
Separating top juveniles is always tough early in the year because so many are unbeaten or have won a majority of their starts. Still, when it comes to the early favorites for this year's Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), all lists must start with Awesome Humor.
Del Mar Debutante (gr. I) champion Miss Houdini came out of Saturday's stakes race in fine shape after posting an 11-1 upset, trainer Warren Stute said Sunday.
Miss Houdini carries on Clement Hirsch's legacy with a score in the Del Mar Debutante .
Most Popular Stories
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista