Hall of Fame rider John Velazquez, a two-time Eclipse Award winner, was presented with the Mike Venezia Memorial Award Aug. 30 at Saratoga Race Course.
The New York Racing Association will provide racing fans with the opportunity to vote for the Mike Venezia Memorial Award online at www.nyra.com/veneziaaward through Saturday, August 30.
Ramon Dominguez, a three-time winner of the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey, will be presented with the Mike Venezia Memorial Award Aug. 25 at Saratoga Race Course.
Patricia Cooksey has been named the recipient of the 2004 Mike Venezia Memorial Award in a vote of fans, turf writers and jockeys.
Patricia Cooksey, Aaron Gryder, Edgar Prado and John Velazquez have been named as the finalists for the 2004 Mike Venezia Memorial Award. The Venezia Award was instituted by the New York Racing Association to honor riders who "exemplify extraordinary sportsmanship and citizenship." Venezia was killed in a tragic spill at Belmont Park on Oct. 13, 1988.
Dean Kutz, who overcame serious physical problems to forge a successful career as a jockey, received the 2002 Mike Venezia Memorial Award in the winners' circle following the running of Friday's Top Flight Handicap (gr. II) at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- U.S. Alleges Conspiracy at Penn National
- Luck of the Kitten Starts '15 in Transylvania
- Is Mubtaahij a Major Derby Contender?
- ROAP Seeks Regulation of 'Program Trainers'
- El Kabeir Fires Bullet Work at Belmont
- Keeneland Plans Wide Live Broadcast Coverage
- RMTC Nears Recommendation on Calming Agent
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot