Maraahel won the Hardwicke Stakes (Eng-II) at Royal Ascot for the second consecutive year by holding off favored Scorpion by a half-length.
Claiborne Farm and Adele Dilschneider's Louisiana Derby (gr. II) winner Mighty has been retired from racing and will stand the 2001 breeding season at Walmac Farm, according to trainer Frank Brothers.
Barn notes from Churchill Downs include notable workouts and plans for top horses.
Trainer Neil Drysdale told callers on a national media teleconference Tuesday that Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus was a "strong possibility" for Saturday's one-mile Jerome Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park.
Depending upon the weather and the colt's condition following a workout Sunday, Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus could return to competition Saturday in the Jerome Handicap (gr. I), a one-mile race for 3-year-olds.
Louisiana Derby (gr. II) winner Mighty worked six furlongs in 1:13.47, breezing, at Belmont Park Sunday in preparation for Saturday's one-mile $150,000 Jerome Handicap (gr. II). Fusaichi Pegasus also worked at Belmont Sunday in company with Bodyguard, and the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner is also under consideration for the Jerome.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud