Maraahel won the Hardwicke Stakes (Eng-II) at Royal Ascot for the second consecutive year by holding off favored Scorpion by a half-length.
Claiborne Farm and Adele Dilschneider's Louisiana Derby (gr. II) winner Mighty has been retired from racing and will stand the 2001 breeding season at Walmac Farm, according to trainer Frank Brothers.
Barn notes from Churchill Downs include notable workouts and plans for top horses.
Trainer Neil Drysdale told callers on a national media teleconference Tuesday that Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus was a "strong possibility" for Saturday's one-mile Jerome Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park.
Depending upon the weather and the colt's condition following a workout Sunday, Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus could return to competition Saturday in the Jerome Handicap (gr. I), a one-mile race for 3-year-olds.
Louisiana Derby (gr. II) winner Mighty worked six furlongs in 1:13.47, breezing, at Belmont Park Sunday in preparation for Saturday's one-mile $150,000 Jerome Handicap (gr. II). Fusaichi Pegasus also worked at Belmont Sunday in company with Bodyguard, and the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner is also under consideration for the Jerome.
Most Popular Stories
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- Mubtaahij in 'Missed Work' at Arlington
- Effinex Wins Excelsior, Wicked Strong Third
- Carr Released From Hospital After Surgery
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- Kentucky Derby: Trainer Weaver on Tencendur
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Upstart, Frosted Drill in Florida for Derby
- Derby All About Opportunity for Bolo, Gaines
- 'Company' No Issue for El Kabeir in Workout