Triton Racing's Uchenna bided her time at the back of the pack and then pounced with a bold rail move July 25 to win the $150,000 Ontario Matron (Can-III), taking her first graded stakes for trainer Roger Attfield.
John Unger's homebred champion Strut the Course seeks her second graded stakes win of the year when she faces six other older fillies and mares in the $150,000 Ontario Matron Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine July 25.
Watsdachances makes her first start since finishing second in last fall's Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (gr. IT) in the $100,000 Appalachian Presented by the Japan Racing Association April 18 at Keeneland.
Demoiselle Stakes (gr. II) victress Unlimited Budget has been pegged the 5-2 morning line favorite for the $200,000 Rachel Alexandra Stakes (gr. III) at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots Feb. 23, in her season debut.
With a victory in the $500,000 Hollywood Starlet Stakes (gr. I) Dec. 8 at Betfair Hollywood Park, Executiveprivilege could set off quite a debate for the Eclipse Award in the juvenile filly division.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Nov. 11 saw new stakes winners from a trio of freshman sires, two of whom were represented by their first black-type winners.
Midnight Ballet became the first stakes winner for her sire, freshman sire Midnight Lute, and her dam, Buzz Song, in the $100,000 Sharp Cat Stakes Nov. 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- First Black-type Winner for Freshman Havana Gold
- Hong Kong Champion Able Friend Retired
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park