French invader Sofast adds a new face to the $300,000 Eddie Read Stakes, which attracted a familiar group of Southern California-based middle-distance turf runners to the first grade I event of the season July 20 at Del Mar.
Horse of the Year Wise Dan ran his winning streak to six races and surpassed $4 million in career earnings handily in the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT) over yielding ground May 4 at Churchill Downs.
Wise Dan and Point of Entry face off May 4 at Churchill Downs in the $500,000 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT), the race immediately preceding the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Howe Great, the 2012 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT) victor whose last win came in the July 21 Jersey Derby at Monmouth, took a strong Keeneland allowance race April 6 in which 2011 Woodbine Mile winner Turallure ran sixth.
Trainer Charlie LoPresti has the somewhat enviable if daunting task of bringing several top-level horses back off the bench this spring at Keeneland, including 2011 Ricoh Woodbine Mile (gr. IT) winner Turallure.
Florida Derby (gr. I) winner Take Charge Indy, out of action since the spring due to an ankle injury, makes his return in the $150,000 Fayette Stakes (gr. II), the closing day feature of the Keeneland fall meet Oct. 27.
Outsider Middie spurted away from the field in upper stretch to post a 3 3/4-length victory under jockey Francisco Torres in the $150,000 Washington Park Handicap in track-record time over Polytrack at Arlington Park Sept 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Downey: Derby Trail, Where They're Going Next
- Louisiana Bills to Reduce Dates, Slots Money
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals