Monday, Oct. 27, was another busy work day at Santa Anita Park for horses pointing toward the Breeders' Cup World Championships. Meanwhile, the connections of horses entered were awaiting the post position draw later Monday.
Southern California shipper Tonito M. swept past the leaders to score a mild upset in the $400,000 Oklahoma Derby (gr. III) Sept. 28 at Remington Park, earning his first victory in six starts for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer.
The 8 3/4-length winner of the Oak Hall at Evangeline Downs in his last start headlines a field of nine including last year's 1-2 finishers, Scatman and Jasizzle, and eight-time stakes winner Delaunay.
Perretti Racing Stable's Forty Tales stamped himself as a prime contender for the Aug. 24 King's Bishop Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga when he took the Amsterdam (gr. II) on July 28 at the upstate oval.
Forty Tales and Declan's Warrior meet again after 1-2 finish in the Woody Stephens Stakes (gr. II) June 8.
The $150,000 Carry Back Stakes (gr. III) set up perfectly for a closer at Calder Casino & Race Course on July 6, and Mico Margarita took full advantage to win his first graded stakes for J. Kirk and Judy Robison.
Averill Racing and Silver Oak Stable's R Free Roll will be seeking her third victory over males in as many starts in the July 6 Carry Back Stakes (gr. III) at Calder Casino & Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Commentary: Permeating Speed is a Problem
- Bolo Thrives in Return to Turf at Santa Anita
- American Pharoah Schools, Back to Galloping
- Materiality, Frosted Drill Toward Belmont
- Zenyatta in Foal to War Front Again
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- Son Wins 'Lopez Battle' at Golden Gate Fields
- Blood-Horse Unveils Multimedia Tablet Edition
- Bill Puts USADA in Charge of Drug Testing
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah