Frank Kirby has been elected president of the Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association.
Trainer Mickey Goldfine was putting the final touches on Senor Swinger Friday morning, just hours before the colt put his undefeated record on the line in Gulfstream Park's grade I Florida Derby. At $1 million, the 1 1/8-mile race is the richest prep in the nation for the Triple Crown.
Ten Cents a Shine, sharpening for a possible run in the Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. I) Feb. 15, rallied on the outside with jockey Jerry Bailey aboard to finish in a dead heat with Senor Swinger and rider Edgar Prado in the featured $36,000 allowance race for 3-year-olds at Gulfstream Park Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Beholder Brilliant in Del Mar Breeze
- Hard Aces Too Tough in Cougar II
- Nyquist Logs Final Work for Haskell
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury