Frank Kirby has been elected president of the Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association.
Trainer Mickey Goldfine was putting the final touches on Senor Swinger Friday morning, just hours before the colt put his undefeated record on the line in Gulfstream Park's grade I Florida Derby. At $1 million, the 1 1/8-mile race is the richest prep in the nation for the Triple Crown.
Ten Cents a Shine, sharpening for a possible run in the Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. I) Feb. 15, rallied on the outside with jockey Jerry Bailey aboard to finish in a dead heat with Senor Swinger and rider Edgar Prado in the featured $36,000 allowance race for 3-year-olds at Gulfstream Park Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment