Frank Kirby has been elected president of the Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association.
Trainer Mickey Goldfine was putting the final touches on Senor Swinger Friday morning, just hours before the colt put his undefeated record on the line in Gulfstream Park's grade I Florida Derby. At $1 million, the 1 1/8-mile race is the richest prep in the nation for the Triple Crown.
Ten Cents a Shine, sharpening for a possible run in the Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. I) Feb. 15, rallied on the outside with jockey Jerry Bailey aboard to finish in a dead heat with Senor Swinger and rider Edgar Prado in the featured $36,000 allowance race for 3-year-olds at Gulfstream Park Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- McCarron: Clarification
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System