Neil Boyce, a successful Chicago horseman for years, trained such stars as Calestoga, Valid Vixen.
Bar Three's homebred Best of Buddies battled for the lead every step of the way from the rail and held off the fast closing Crested by a neck to capture the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) in his stakes debut Saturday.
Meryl Squires-Cannon, president of the Barrington, Ill., Merix Pharmaceutical Corporation, has answered prominent Thoroughbred owner Charlotte Weber's $50,000 matching gift challenge over the next five years made to Arlington Park's "Riding For A Cure" program on behalf of cancer research.
For the second time in three years, trainer Gene Cilio was the standout of the Prairie State Festival, saddling two winners in the six-race extravaganza for Illinois-registered horses.
Most Popular Stories
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- Too Early to Gauge 'Brexit' Effect on Sales
- Magee Clinches Training Title at Pimlico
- BHA Working on Strategies After 'Brexit' Vote
- Weather Impacts Churchill June 23 Program
- Mohaymen Back to Work in New York
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses