Neil Boyce, a successful Chicago horseman for years, trained such stars as Calestoga, Valid Vixen.
Bar Three's homebred Best of Buddies battled for the lead every step of the way from the rail and held off the fast closing Crested by a neck to capture the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) in his stakes debut Saturday.
Meryl Squires-Cannon, president of the Barrington, Ill., Merix Pharmaceutical Corporation, has answered prominent Thoroughbred owner Charlotte Weber's $50,000 matching gift challenge over the next five years made to Arlington Park's "Riding For A Cure" program on behalf of cancer research.
For the second time in three years, trainer Gene Cilio was the standout of the Prairie State Festival, saddling two winners in the six-race extravaganza for Illinois-registered horses.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- The Pizza Man Key Ingredient To Arlington
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- The Influence of His Majesty
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp
- Tattersalls July Sale Ends on High Note
- Belmont to Offer Low-Roller Player Tourney
- Two Fillies Among 37 Ohio Derby Nominees