Ventana returned to his winning ways, as the 5-year-old finally did May 21 at Pimlico Race Course when he outdueled longshot Immortal Eyes to score the $100,000 Maryland Sprint Handicap (gr. III).
Preakness (gr. I) winner Lookin At Lucky put away Derby winner Super Saver at the top of the stretch and annihilated the field in the IZOD Haskell Invitational Aug. 1 at Monmouth Park.
Southern California shipper Mayor Marv leads all the way for jockey David Flores in the $100,000 Turf Paradise Derby Feb. 21, winning for Bob Baffert and Mike Pegram.
John Confort and Albert Weiss' Our Golden Dream will try to follow up on her impressive debut when she takes on a full field of 12 juvenile fillies in the $150,000 Miss Grillo Stakes (gr. IIIT) Oct. 1 on the Belmont turf.
Southern California trainer Bob Baffert continues to see dividends from his decision to take a string from his Southern California stable to Saratoga. In the $250,000 Forego Handicap (gr. I), his Midnight Lute made the lead on the turn of the seven-furlong test and rolled to his first grade I win by more than two lengths under substitute rider Shaun Bridgmohan.
Michael Pegram's champion Silverbulletday produced her second foal, a Storm Cat filly.
Michael Pegram's 3-year-old colt Captain Steve employed similar racing tactics to those used in his Iowa Derby victory earlier this month to win the $300,000 winner's share of the $500,000 Swaps Stakes (gr. I) Sunday at Hollywood Park. After Tiznow angled out for racing room, the full brother of Budroyale rallied for second place, 2 1/2 lengths behind the winner.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- Paladin Bay Seeks to Tame Bison City Stakes
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- Boston and Suffolk Downs Begin Planning
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Xpressbet to Sponsor West Virginia Derby
- Del Mar's Paddock Sale to be Held July 20
- Heerman Shaped Today's Thoroughbred Sales