Freedom Child, most recently last of nine in the Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) July 27, has been retired to stud at Country Life Farm in Maryland, West Point Thoroughbreds' Terry Finley confirmed Aug. 10.
The first reported foal for 2009 Louisiana Derby (gr. II) winner Friesan Fire is a filly born January 22 at Maple Valley Farm in West Virginia for breeder Ken Lowe Jr.
Kentucky's WinStar Farm and Maryland's Country Life Farm (owned by Josh and Mike Pons) have reached a co-ownership agreement to stand WinStar's homebred colt Cal Nation at the Pons' Merryland Farm near Hydes, Md., in 2013.
Friesan Fire, winner of the 2009 Louisiana Derby (gr. II) and the favorite in that year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has been retired from racing and will stand at Merryland in Maryland.
The Pons' family's Country Life Farm of Bel Air, Md. announced Friday the acquistion of Merryland Farm, a 159-acre horse farm located in the Long Green Valley of Maryland.
Most Popular Stories
- Massachusetts Sire Dr. Rockett Gets First Win
- Positive Outlook for Fasig-Tipton Yearlings
- F-T Kentucky: Hip 154 Cowboy Cal--Refugee
- F-T July: 'Chrome' Asst. Trainer Alan Sherman
- Fasig-Tipton Kentucky: July 2014 Sale Preview
- Jockey David Mello Registers 1,000th Win
- Belle Gallantey Steals Delaware Handicap
- Featured Horse Profile: Ben's Cat
- Doinghardtimeagain Grinds Out Great Lady M.
- Shakin It Up Retired, To Stand at Spendthrift