The inaugural meet at Presque Isle Downs concluded Sept. 29, with the track located at the casino of the same name near Erie, Pennsylvania reporting average daily purse distribution of $432,074 for the 29-day stand. Overnight purses averaged $368,074.
It took nearly all afternoon for it to happen, but trainer Michael Maker and jockey Miguel Mena stole the show on Claiming Crown Day, Saturday at Ellis Park.
Richard Mena has been named the Jockeys' Guild chaplain by the organization's board of directors.
Joe Got Even, local winner of the WEBN Stakes in his last start, could be the favorite again Saturday when a well-matched field of 11 goes to the post in Turfway Park's John Battaglia Memorial Stakes.
Jockey Miguel Mena, who was thrown from his mount Sheer One when they clipped heels with another horse during Arlington Park's ninth race, was taken directly to Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights for evaluation.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop