John M. Liviakis' homebred filly Mighty Caroline, second choice in the betting at 4-1 under jockey Joel Rosario, forged to the front in the upper stretch and went on to a 1 1/4-length victory in the Sorrento Stakes (gr. III).
A War Front colt sold for $250,000 topped the May 10 Barretts sale of 2-year-olds in training, which saw stable numbers when compared with the same auction one year ago.
Trainers David LaCroix and Melody Conlon were each fined $3,000 by Santa Anita stewards for violating limits on the use of the bronchodilator clenbuterol last year.
Leading trainer Doug O'Neill has been named in a California Horse Racing Board complaint alleging that a horse in his care exceeded the allowable level of total carbon dioxide in winning a race at Santa Anita last month.
Most Popular Stories
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- French Derby Duo Face Off at Longchamp
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Analysis
- Two Fillies Among 37 Ohio Derby Nominees
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup