John M. Liviakis' homebred filly Mighty Caroline, second choice in the betting at 4-1 under jockey Joel Rosario, forged to the front in the upper stretch and went on to a 1 1/4-length victory in the Sorrento Stakes (gr. III).
A War Front colt sold for $250,000 topped the May 10 Barretts sale of 2-year-olds in training, which saw stable numbers when compared with the same auction one year ago.
Trainers David LaCroix and Melody Conlon were each fined $3,000 by Santa Anita stewards for violating limits on the use of the bronchodilator clenbuterol last year.
Leading trainer Doug O'Neill has been named in a California Horse Racing Board complaint alleging that a horse in his care exceeded the allowable level of total carbon dioxide in winning a race at Santa Anita last month.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Gallops at Churchill
- Espinoza: TC Pursuit 'Different This Time'
- Golden Eagle Partial Dispersal at Barretts
- Five Palms Making Stakes Debut in Los Angeles
- MarketWatch: American Pharoah's Stud Value
- Frosted Scheduled for Belmont Stakes Run
- 16 Remain Engaged for Epsom Derby
- Hard Not to Like Seeking CA Score in Gamely
- Summer Hit Aimed for All American Three-Peat
- Love Me Only's First Foal a Stakes Winner