Jockey Alex Solis registered his 4,000th career win aboard speedy King Robyn Friday in the $110,800 Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Santa Anita downhill turf course.
"He's working really well. He's real happy. He's like he was a couple of years ago." Is he really the same "old warrior?" "Oh, yeah, he's the same old guy." That's jockey Alex Solis talking about his favorite horse, Kona Gold, in preparation for a start Saturday in the 58th edition of the grade II, $200,000 Bing Crosby Breeders' Cup Handicap at 6 furlongs on the main track.
Trainer Doug O'Neill worked Avanzado and Geronimo Sunday for the $300,000 Triple Bend Breeders' Cup Invitational Handicap (gr. I) at seven furlongs on Saturday.
Luis Taunay's favored Redattore caught pacesetting Special Ring a furlong from home and recorded his third straight victory in the $415,000 Shoemaker Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) on Monday at Hollywood Park.
Criquette Head-Maarek runners finished one-two in the Group I Prix de la Foret at Longchamp on Sunday afternoon, with Dedication sporting her mother's colors, beating Medecis by a neck.
The Irish National Stud announced that it has purchased an interest in Medecis, a 3-year-old son of Machiavellian. A winner of four of six starts with a pair of seconds, Medecis' last start was a victory in the about one-mile Prix de la Jonchere (Fr-III) at Chantilly on June 17.
The top three finishers from last months Prix de Fountainebleau (Fr-III) again filled the top three spots in Sunday's Gainsborough Poule d'Essai des Poulains--French Two Thousand Guineas (Fr-I), with Landseer winning the French classic by a length over Medecis. Bowman came home third.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- McCraken Stretches Out in Keeneland Work
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Animo de Valeroso to Stand at Duncan Farms
- Honorable Duty Aims to Continue Fair Grounds Roll
- McIngvales Repeat $10K College Scholarship Offer
- Maker Trio Heads Muniz Memorial Handicap